Featured in

Featured in: Tiny Buddha, Halifax Media Coop, Fine Fit Day, Simplify the Season, La Presse, Filles, Le Canada-Français

Friday, March 29, 2013

What are we celebrating again?

It's a beautiful morning - finally! K and I ran our short, fast run of the week by the moon light, and even if it was painful...

(This is what my face probably looked like the whole time:)

... By the time we were done, the sun was coming up, and I heard the birds singing! BIRDS! BIIIIIIIIIIIRRRRRRRRRRDDDDDDDDDDDDDSSSSSSSSSSS! (Oops, I think I just go into a trance.)

The birds are coming back... please tell me this is a good sign? PLEASE!

Painful or not, runs are always a moment of awakening (and not only because I mostly run early mornings!) I can't seem to be able to get my feet going without my thoughts following at the same pace: on long, slow runs I get into a meditative state; on short, tempo runs, my head starts spinning with ideas; only during sprints do I not think much apart from "!"/$%?&* this hurts!"

My "running thoughts" are often metaphysical in nature. Once, after a Sunday long run, K exclaimed "Well, this surely beats going to church!" Not sure if her analogy arised from the fact that we pray (for it to be over) the whole time. One thing is certain, the repetitive movement of our feet, the regular inhale and exhale pattern and the inescapable beauty of our surroundings certainly make us feel like we are in communion with the whole universe!

Setting aside those spiritual elucubrations, today's questioning is about Easter.

What does Easter mean to you? Does it mean anything at all? What are the first things that come to mind when you think about Easter?

(For me it's chocolate, brioche, eggs, ham, lamb, asparagus... can you tell I was raised in a food-loving house?)

Corollary question: why do you celebrate it?

'Cause everyone does! (or so it seems!)

As I was pondering all that, this picture appeared on my Facebook feed:



Well, that's an interesting explanation. What do you think? Does it hold? I know I'm never gonna think about Easter the same way!

Have a great weekend everyone, whichever way you decide to celebrate!

4 comments:

  1. Christianity ripped EVERYTHING off from the Pagans... ;)

    Easter is the holiday that I get to host and show off my ferocious Italian housewife side which is under wraps the other 364 days of the year...that's about it. I was raised Catholic (12 years of Catholic school) but my family was never particularly religious. We were sent to Catholic schools because the Boston public schools were, shall we say, not very good.

    I had my kids attend church for a few years so they got the jist of what organized religion is all about, but I would explain to them each week after Mass what I thought about the homily, particularly if I was in total disagreement with the priest or church on the subject of the week. When the younger one received First Holy Communion, we quit religion altogether. We have some interest in Buddhist teachings but don't follow any organized religion or attend any kinds of services now...holidays are secular to us; just a time to nang out with family, have a special meal, stuff like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Christianity ripped EVERYTHING off from the Pagans"

      So true! Joseph Campbell's "The Power of Myth," is quite enlightening on this.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for your comment Norma! :-) You are a good example of how to take some and leave some out of religion, to keep your critical thinking alive, to embrace whichever spiritual path "talks to you" and to celebrate in your own personal way. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. For more on this topic, I recommend reading Mircea Eliade's work. In fiction, Michel Tournier is a must. :-)

    ReplyDelete