Featured in

Featured in: Tiny Buddha, Halifax Media Coop, Fine Fit Day, Simplify the Season, La Presse, Filles, Le Canada-Français

Thursday, September 12, 2013

Embrace change

Change of perspective
Mariam S., Flickr



Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. (Albert Einstein)


Change, ah, change.

How do you feel about change?

Recently I saw a friend I hadn't had a chance to chat with in a while. When I asked what she's up to these days, she replied "Not much...", and when I asked if she had any projects, she said "Well, a couple of things here and there in the house... but I have been feeling quite unproductive actually."

At that point, sensing it was not a happy topic for her, I simply said "Sometimes it's good for us to be unproductive. Plus, when you really feel like you need a change, you'll know, and you'll do something about it." I was smiling because I knew exactly how she was feeling: stuck in a rut yet not quite ready to shake things up.

That's a perfectly fine place to be in temporarily. We all need to stop and find our bearings.

Then sooner or later, a little voice inside of us tells us "Okay, now I'm really due for a change. Let's do it." And we go for it. We implement some change.

I have another friend who LOVES change. Rencently she broke up with a boyfriend of 5-6 years. When I asked her what had prompted the breakup, she said: "Oh, you know me, J. There was nothing wrong per se with the relationship. I was just not excited about it anymore. I needed a change."

Of course if you feel completely "blahed" about your relationship, it would probably be unfair to yourself and your partner to just stay there. Breaking up isn't necessarily the solution, but sometimes... it just is.

The interesting thing about change is that there is a fine balance to achieve: too much change and you'd end up stressed, exhausted. Too little change, and you'd end up bored and demotivated.

In the last year or so, I've been longing for some change. Not big, extreme change, but some change. And recently, it started happening.

My translation business is thriving, and I enjoy it, but I've been longing for something that would allow me to actually meet people (when I translate, it's only me and my computer). As I was pondering my options, my friend K informed me that the local private school was looking for a French teacher. I have taught French as a second language in the past, and loved it. So I applied. It went well. I am now teaching French 3 mornings a week (I'll still be translating the rest of the time).

Implementing this change in my life made me nervous for maybe... 48 hours? But now it makes me very happy.

It's even motivated me to change other things in my life. Now that I'm out of my comfort zone, but fully enjoying it, I figure, "Why not?"

There's something about change that makes everything tastier, more interesting, and that makes life feel worth living.

What have you changed in your life lately? What kind of change do you think could do you good?





16 comments:

  1. Congrats on your new job & opportunity! Sounds perfect for you! I like to change things up with running & races. Signing up for a big event forces me to change my normal routine and focus on a new goal. It's a great way to shake things up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, when you sign up for something there's no valid excuse: you have to do what it takes to get ready, even if it takes you out of your comfort zone.

      Delete
  2. Hi Julie - Congratulations on your teaching position! I am about to embark on some changes to my physical training schedule, but need to wait until October to implement. Did you know that David Bowie changed his name so that he wouldn't be confused with Davy Jones? True story. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your input Marc! Can't wait to read about the changes you're about to implement!

      Delete
  3. I have cut back on my use of alcohol -- from an everyday drinker to maybe once a week. This change was difficult to get to, but afterwards, when I saw the benefits of more energy, better sleep, more productivity, less guilt, I feel liberated. I no longer use alcohol to 'wind down.' I play soothing music or read a book, or putter in the garden. Or play with my pooch. I don't know why I resisted this change for so long...but I'm glad I finally made the move.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an awesome change to make! You must be so happy.

      Delete
  4. Love those ornaments. Reminds me of a red riding hood doll I used to have that changed into the big bad wolf. I am happy for your change this year - so perfect for you. I wonder what mine will be ....hmm. Will let you know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember that doll too! :-)

      Can't wait to see what change you will make.

      Delete
  5. There are times I like change and sometimes, if I could have, I would have bonsaied my life!

    I like netsuke!

    If looked into it, and it's questionable if Einstein really said that, but it's a good definition regardless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Einstein or not, there's a lot of wisdom in it.

      Glad you like the picture.

      Delete
  6. Congrats on the new job, Julie! At times, I feel that a *lot* of my life is out of the comfort zone. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marion, if a lot of your life is out of your comfort zone, it must be stressful! Unless you enjoy a lot of action. :-)

      Delete
  7. So exciting that you are teaching French again.
    I like change - we have made several lately but the biggest is in buying a new business - a little scary but mostly exciting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Buying a business is a BIG one! But as you say, very exciting!!! You have guts! :-)

      Delete
  8. When I think of change I always default to the book, Who Moved My Cheese. Change and adaptability go hand-in-hand.

    I can't say that I actively pursue change as a stimulus,but I don't fear it at all. I just know that my inner Taoist understands that bending is way better than breaking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said! :-) Chosen or not, when changes comes our way, adapting is key.

      Delete