Featured in

Featured in: Tiny Buddha, Halifax Media Coop, Fine Fit Day, Simplify the Season, La Presse, Filles, Le Canada-Français

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Writer's block, blank page

Flickr



“Writing about a writer's block is better than not writing at all” ― Charles BukowskiThe Last Night of the Earth Poems



Writer's block, blank page


Writer's block, blank page

No words walking onto the stage

Blank page, writer's block

No boat showing up at the dock


Writer's block, blank page

Be patient, said the sage

Blank page, writer's block

Muse is late, says the clock


Writer's block, blank page

Frustration turns into a rage

Blank page, writer's block

There's no way around it: I'm stuck



... and this is the best I could come up with! (I know, it's bad. In my defense, I wrote it in about 5 minutes. WITHOUT the help of my muse.)

But worry not, cherished readers! As I was digging for inspiration, I did some research on the dreaded writer's block and blank page phenomena. If you're a fellow writer, the following quotes from accomplished writers might come in handy... or at least reassure you that you're not the only one struggling.

Never sit staring at a blank page or screen. If you find yourself stuck, write. Write about the scene you're trying to write. Writing about is easier than writing, and chances are, it will give you your way in.Laini Taylor

You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.― Jodi Picoult

“Who is more to be pitied, a writer bound and gagged by policemen or one living in perfect freedom who has nothing more to say?” ― Kurt Vonnegut

“Discipline allows magic. To be a writer is to be the very best of assassins. You do not sit down and write every day to force the Muse to show up. You get into the habit of writing every day so that when she shows up, you have the maximum chance of catching her, bashing her on the head, and squeezing every last drop out of that bitch.” 
― Lili St. Crow

“Biting my truant pen, beating myself for spite:"Fool!" said my muse to me, "look in thy heart, and write.” ― Philip SidneyAstrophel and Stella






15 comments:

  1. Somme of the worst writing ever done, was done under the influence of inspiration...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Kurt V.'s response...kinda like "First World Problem." I always figure that even though a block is occurring, work deep underground is still in motion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree on all counts, Tara.

      Maybe it's not so much the inspiration that's missing... maybe it's the right words and sentences failing to assemble properly in our minds.

      Delete
  3. YOU with a writer's block??? That's impossible ! The poem has some rhythm to it. I like it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, thanks M. Definitely not my best piece of writing! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your writer's block is WAY better than most people's most inspired writing. I'm with M. I like the poem too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought the poem rocked!!
    And, I liked Jodi Piccoult's thought on editing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's so right, isn't she? One of my college professors (who is also a novelist) told us that you should always write something, anything, no matter what... because at least you can always come back to it later and work on it.

      Delete
  7. I like it too, but you'll say I'm biased :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Blank page
    Begging me to create
    Words of wisdom
    Or jest
    Knowledge borrowed
    From a cosmic source
    To tease the intellect
    With incomplete realizations
    Of life's intangible mysteries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That one is much better than mine, Dr. J. :-)

      Delete
  9. Thank you, but just different. I wrote that a while ago while trying to create a poem and looking at my perceived, impatient page. Much the same process as you did with positive results as it's not the last one I've written.

    Another commonality we share :-)

    ReplyDelete