Featured in

Featured in: Tiny Buddha, Halifax Media Coop, Fine Fit Day, Simplify the Season, La Presse, Filles, Le Canada-Français

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Eighteen weeks to the start line

SeanJC, Flickr


It's that time of the year again!

Training for the Bluenose Marathon has just started. Eighteen weeks of training, runs of increasing difficulty that will take us to the start line on May 18.

I can't say running in winter conditions is always fun. Who in their right mind gets out of bed at 5 am, gets dressed and steps outside in the dark, cold Canadian morning, to run on surfaces that alternate between black ice, fluffy snow and slush, often by minus 10 Celsius degrees or colder?

Well, apparently, my friend K and I are among those crazy runners who do. I know we're not alone. Dedicated "pseudo-athletes" like us everywhere find ways to fit serious training into their otherwise busy schedule. This is necessary if you want to run decently on race day, but it's also, for some of us, the best kind of medication.

Running (and strength and flexibility training) has "cured" most of my "ailments". When physical activity is an integral part of my life, everything else just seems to fall into place. Even if it means cutting back on my sleep and exposing myself to the hostile elements at a time when most people are still catching some Zs.


Pavel P, Flickr


So I don't care if getting ready takes almost as long as the run itself (so many layers to slip into!) I don't care if my eyelashes become crunchy. I don't care if the water in my bottle freezes hard. I'm outside breathing fresh air (fresh being an euphemism in this case), chatting with a beloved friend, and making sure I stay in shape (mental and physical). That's priceless.

Plus, running in this season truly makes winter go by faster. Especially given the fact that running makes any temperature feel about ten degrees warmer!

No matter what your fitness goal and "method" is, one thing is certain: the effort is worth it. Give yourself the gift of fitness now! Eighteen weeks is enough to make a difference.

Good luck in your endeavors!







20 comments:

  1. i used to be too lazy to get outside in winter. got myself a husky mix. problem solved. I agree: love what its doing to me mentally and physically!
    its always great to read here! smart and fun blog!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea!

      My dog, on the other hand, is a Viszla and despises the cold...

      Thank you for commenting.

      Delete
  2. That eighteen weeks will go by so quickly too - I wish you good luck and hope all the training runs and preparation go well.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, those weeks really go quickly especially when you have a goal in mind. Thank you Jan! :-)

      Delete
  3. YAY! So excited you are training for a marathon!! Can't wait to follow your journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will either be a full or a half, depending on how it goes, but it's exciting no matter what. :-) Thanks for coming by Nicole!

      Delete
  4. You are so much tougher than me - I have a big race coming up but the treadmill works fine for me at 5:00 am when it is 2 degrees (F) outside!!! Or any temp really!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as you're training! :-) Good luck to you!

      Delete
  5. I needed to read this today .. Thanks! See you at the start line :)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah! :-) Let's keep in touch about the training!

      Delete
  6. When I was in med school in the northeast US I would run on very dark cold winter mornings! I covered almost every inch of me except for my eyes! Gortex was my best friend! As I approached people from behind, I would warn them of the ninja shadow approaching, lol! After running it was not unusual for my face and mustache to be covered with frost and ice. I usually felt pretty good, but there were times when I could feel the cold begin to get to me, fortunately the hour+ runs were almost over by then. Still, I valued my time to myself as as soon as I got to the hospital at 6 am, I was someone else's slave :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what I'm talking about then! :-) It's all about being dressed adequately. Although someone has asked me if I was getting ready to rob a bank based on my looks, LOL.

      Delete
  7. I have a problem running in the dark alone :( cold is OK, rain is also OK but when it's dark I run to the gym I am hoping I can also be brave enough to run in the dark...good luck with your training. Looking forward to reading all about your training.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand Tanvee. I would not run in the dark alone. With a friend, reflector bands, a headlamp and some pepper spray, yes. (We have bears, coyotes and bobcats around here.) The gym is fine for when other conditions are not met! :-)

      Delete
  8. F#ck running, and I mean that sincerely.

    That said, I have huge respect, and appreciation for your endeavor. I bow down with admiration.

    PS: F#ck running

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bahaha! :-)

      But I know you are top shape, just in a different way!

      Delete
  9. I ran the Bluenose 10K last year and I'm thinking about running the half this year. The full marathon though? You're a rockstar!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Half or full, I'm not sure yet... we'll see how my knees respond. :-) Good for you that you are increasing the distance!

      Delete
  10. all good wishes for your training...it sounds perfectly brutal to me. A good walk with the dog a couple of times a day is just my speed. Though I do remember the high from running track in jr. and high school. You ROCK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I laughed at "perfectly brutal", but in a way, you are right!

      We put a limit on temperature: by minus 20 we cancel. :-(

      Walks with dogs are great! :-)

      Delete