Featured in

Featured in: Tiny Buddha, Halifax Media Coop, Fine Fit Day, Simplify the Season, La Presse, Filles, Le Canada-Français

Sunday, May 18, 2014

I'm sorry I hated you

NS, 2014



I'm sorry I hated you.

I will admit, I even considered leaving you.

But can I be blamed? You were so cruel to me, and to everyone else, this last winter.

This winter was so grey, so cold, so long. Mostly long.

I started wondering what I was doing here with you.

I was forgetting about all the good times we've had.

I was forgetting how wonderful you are as soon as the beautiful season is here.

I just came back to life as your nature did.

At first it was mostly a tease: a slightly warmer day followed by another snowfall - in April. As warmer days began to add up, and as we were only beginning to enjoy them, the black flies appeared. Seriously? Then it seemed like you were downright mocking us: no flowers nor leaves yet, but the weeds in full bloom - are you kidding me?

As May advances we can finally start appreciating you again. And we are determined to make the most of it. We know it's not going to last, and so we jam-pack our days with fun activities: a campfire with friends and a no less friendly Riesling; a morning hike along the coast; an afternoon spent lounging on the deck.


NS, 2014


NS, 2014


Nova Scotia, you just reminded me how I love your sights (so many beautiful shades of green and blue). Your sounds (the waves; the birds). Your scents (sea spray; pine trees). Your touch (my toes on your sandy beaches; my whole body floating on your waters). Your taste (the smoked salmon, mussels, clams and lobster I had last night).


A taking pictures of the white sandy beach we're headed for.
NS, 2014


Nova Scotia, when I think of it, there are so many things I love about you.

I love your friendly people and your small communities where everyone knows everyone.

Nova Scotia, your winters are long and your springs nonexistent. You're not always organized and efficient. You can be rather annoying. Sometimes you're just downright boring. Which is just as bad.

But Nova Scotia, you remind me that the best things in life are

1) free

2) worth waiting for

Today, when I set my feet on your shore, I almost cried. Just like I almost cry when, after weeks and weeks of driving the kids to their classes and leagues and practices, I finally get to witness them do wonders on the piano, on stage, in the pool or on the court.


R walking barefoot on the sandy beach - finally!
NS, 2014


Seal on the rocks
NS, 2014


For all this, Nova Scotia, thank you.

Just promise me you will never, ever do this to me again. Or I might leave for good.

(For more on Nova Scotia and the Maritimes, click here.)







12 comments:

  1. HaHa - glad to know that there are some redeeming features to living so far north!!!
    Hooray for feet in the sand!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There has to be something! Interestingly, weather-wise I am becoming less patient with time. Watch me move to the Caribbean in a couple years! LOL

      Delete
  2. Ah, ma belle... This last Autumn, Winter and Spring were not any sweeter in your Birth Province, and whereas they were milder in Western Africa where we lived for a while, I shall remind you that temperatures are not all that matter. I am so glad you enjoyed your day out and the Atlantic Shores; they are most beautiful. Looking forward to our next visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahh Im getting less patient with time, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol! I say denial is the best course of action for your relationship with the North Country until it strays again next year!

    I had the opportunity to go to Finland during springtime a few years ago. I was struck by the intense beauty of their nature, seemingly knowing that time was of the essence and a lot of blooming needed to happen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Denial is at play for sure!

      Spring is delightful everywhere in Europe. Not so much here. Blah...

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful place to be! Oh, the winter was so long everywhere. I totally understand. But it looks like we're all getting some beauty to make up for it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks a truly wonderful place to be alive, enjoy the sights, sounds, smells.

    The seasons are necessary ....we all have our favourite(s),

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that top pic. With some edits it could be wall-worthy.

    ReplyDelete