Featured in

Featured in: Tiny Buddha, Halifax Media Coop, Fine Fit Day, Simplify the Season, La Presse, Filles, Le Canada-Français

Saturday, June 7, 2014

An annual pilgrimage

Peggy's Cove



Almost 7 years ago, we moved to Nova Scotia (for D's job).

One of the main reasons I accepted to leave my natal province and one of my favorite cities in the world (Montreal) was the irresistible call of the ocean. I had always had a fascination for Poseidon's world and his delightful offerings, but had only had occasional access to it. Apart from the 3 years we lived in Senegal (Western Africa), where we could go to the beach every weekend and eat fresh fish every day, my contact with the sea was a yearly happening: we would go to Boston for Easter, or drive further down to the Carolinas during the summer. Each time it was a big event. As soon as we would get the first glimpse of the "great blue soup", we would become all excited in the car and start singing ocean songs:



La mer, by Charles Trenet




The first time we came to Nova Scotia was 4 months before the actual move. We only had a few days to find a house, but we managed to squeeze in a visit to my friend Poseidon. Not sure which coastal spot to go to, we opted for Peggy's Cove, a well-known touristic place not far from the city. We were not disappointed: this tiny fisherman village with huge rocks and a big lighthouse overlooking the deep blue sea truly is a must see. I remember standing there looking at the horizon, listening to the sound of the waves, smelling and feeling the sea spray on my skin after a wonderful (and cheap) lobster meal, and thinking "I can't believe we're going to live less than half an hour from the ocean from now on!"

Since then we have explored many nooks and crannies of our new province, bays, coves and inlets, cliffs and promontories, piers and docks, beaches and hiking trails. Each spot we visit provides us with a unique and renewed appreciation for the ocean. I am not tired of it yet.

With a new life come new traditions, and one of ours is to travel back to Peggy's Cove (a half-hour drive) every month of June, usually around my birthday, for a lobster supper and a hike on the rocks. We were there yesterday. Today I am sharing some pictures we took on this occasion, plus other views of the Nova Scotian salt waters. Enjoy!

(As usual, click on a photo to enlarge it.)



Peggy's Cove, 2014
Walking to the lighthouse
Poseidon is in a bad mood, and so is Aeolus!




Peggy's Cove, 2014



On a nicer day...
Halifax, 2010




Halifax, 2010



Pictou in the winter
A slightly different view of the ocean



And a favorite spot, the Cabot Trail!!!
(Cape Breton Island)

7 comments:

  1. Awww. Thank you Julie for reminding how beautiful this city truly is and how lucky we are!! I hope you enjoyed your bday day out!!! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are lucky indeed! If only it was warmer all year round. ;-)

      Delete
  2. Those pictures are amazing!!! Even the snow/ice covered one - phenomenal!!!
    I think I could get used to living so close to the ocean, at least when the weather is nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's a little bit frustrating when it's kind of too cold to be by the ocean... 8 months of the year... although some people surf all year long!!!

      Delete
  3. Nice!

    I suppose I have always been drawn to water also. Even in Chicago where I grew up we had that BIG Lake. In Florida, water is close to most everywhere. Even in the city I live in now, originally it was here because the Indians settled near a large lake, though now it's a marshy prairie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Water attracts people, that's for sure! :-)

      Delete
  4. We vacationed in Nova Scotia a few years ago. I don't remember if we visited Peggy's Cove or not but the landscape was just beautiful. Thanks for visiting our blog!

    ReplyDelete